Friday, August 26, 2005

Using journals to teach writing

One of my award-winning idea was to incorporate journalling into my classroom. Most Tesl teachers know about journals and may have also kept one before they got too busy. My students keep a lot of journals throughout the year. I shall share with you one by one.

The Class journal
The class monitor buys a thick notebook and paste the name list of the class on the first page. Each students gets a chance to take the notebook home and write whatever they want. The weaker ones end up copying a poem or a song. Some students can draw very well while others are good at decorating the page. The important thing is each student participates. All the classes take part in this programme. At the end of the year, I would collect and choose the best for a prize. I have collected quite a lot of good journals and they are placed in the Self Access Centre as they are good reading materials, very creative and colourful.
Of course, some of my teachers would forget to keep a tab and some classes lose their journals. Whatever, I consider it a success as long as I can collect at least 10 journals. For the young ones, each student is required to do two pages at home and these pages are collected and bound. Really great to see their work.

Try this in the coming year. More journals on the way.

No comments: