Tuesday, August 23, 2005

getting organised

Before we get down to the actual teaching, a lot of organising needs to be done. Teachers deal with a lot of documents. Sometimes, when i am so busy, i misplace documents and i miss datelines and this is very embarrassing and frustrating.

To continue my quest to get organised, i bought a three-tier drawer of A4 size (costs about RM19.90 from a supermarket) and i name each drawer - to file, to do and to read respectively. It sits on a corner of my desk. Each time i receive a document, it goes into one of these drawers. I sought out all the papers on my desks, in my diaries into these categories and whatever that do not fall into these three categories goes into the recycling bin. It took me a whole afternoon but there's more to go. I promise to get rid of at least 5 pieces of papers on the desk.
The goal is at least once a week or a fortnight, I will clear the 'to file' category by filing whatever documents in that drawer. Then, I should refer to the 'to do' drawer daily to ensure that i do not miss any datelines. I find that this has helped me clear a lot papers from my desk. At least, i have space to do my work or hear myself think.
Next, we shall tackle the filing part.

So, i hope this is of help to some of you who are struggling to keep your desk paper-free.

No comments: