Friday, October 07, 2005

Model answer for students

Here is a model answer for students.

"....I shall never forget this day for the rest of my life."


It was a cool September morning. Early rain had cleared the skies to a golden hue. I drifted into a dream to the tune of the occasional pit pat of the falling rain on the gutters of my rooftop. Soon, I would have to get up as I had to attend a club meeting.
My kind brother, Alex had promised to give me a lift before he went to his office. As usual, we dropped by Permai Restaurant for breakfast. The town was just beginning to stir from its sleep as Alex swerved into one of the many empty parking lots. While he slotted some coins into the parking machine, I grabbed my handbag and sauntered to the restaurant, the aroma of teh tarik beckoning me.
Suddenly, I felt a tug from behind and before I realized it, my handbag was gone. I looked up and saw two men on a motorcycle. Then it hit me! Snatch thieves! I screamed at Alex but the sound was a mere whimper. I ran towards him, arms flailing. He jumped into his car and gave chase.
By this time, some workers from the restaurant who had realised what had happened took me into the restaurant and gave me a hot teh tarik. Curious eyes followed my footsteps. I could not swallow. Why me? The thought of losing my handphone made me nauseous. I was vaguely aware that my arm was throbbing and I saw that it was swollen.
Twenty minutes later and what seemed like an eternity to me, Alex came back empty-handed. I was relieved that he was alright. He advised me to eat something. The thosai tasted like paper and I pushed the plate away after a few minutes. We headed for the police station nearby and this time, I kept close to Alex.
When we entered the police station, a kind elderly policeman took me into a room. I tried to narrate the incident but I could not describe the thieves. We saw several women complaining loudly to an officer. Alex told me they were also victims of snatch thefts. Somehow the thought that I was not the only victim comforted me.
Alex sent me to school with some money when I insisted on going. I sat bravely through the meeting without uttering a word. I waited nervously for Alex to pick me up but he was late. Mei, my friend, offered to walk me home. Each time we crossed a road, I clutched her hand. Each motorist that came by looked suspicious to me.
That night, after a prayer with my mother, I finally broke down and cried. I could not sleep as images of those two men lurked in my mind but I was thankful that I was not hurt. I resolved to be more alert the next time. I struggled for a few hours before exhaustion knocked me out. I shall never forget this day for the rest of my life.
(494 words)

NOTE THIS!
Presentation of situation
What day was it?
Where was the writer?
What was she doing?

Events/complication
What happened first?
How did it happen?
What happened then?


The writer uses short sentences here to emphasise the event that took place quickly.
Notice the sensory details used here (in bold) to make the story come alive.

Each paragraph introduces a gap in time and the next event.
Resolution
What happened as a result of that event?
What effect did this have on the writer?
What is the result of the action taking place?

No comments: